This full day walk starts from Queenstown with a scenic drive over the Crown Range (or pick up from Wanaka) and into the Matukituki Valley west of Lake Wanaka in the Mount Aspiring National Park.
Walk up through beech forest to view the magnificent Roy Roy Glacier. High snow capped mountains provide a magnificent backdrop for the drive and walk up this beautiful river valley.
- Duration: 9 hours (approx)
- Walking time: 5 hours (approx)
- Walking distance: 10 kms (reasonable fitness required)
- Track: Well used uneven walking track (4-5 kms each way - 5-600m elevation)
- Departure: (Oct to May) 7.30am
- Pick up: from all Queenstown & Wanaka accommodations
- Highlights: Spectacular snow-capped mountain and lake views, magnificent Rob Roy Glacier, variety of bird life, ancient native beech forest, mosses, lichens and ferns, waterfalls and river gorge.
Minimum numbers: Two persons (adult)